Saturday, March 26, 2011

Not on my watch!

I didn't know that being a finger sucker was in DNA, but it must be since I was batting 1000 with my first 3 children and #4 has shown strong tendencies to follow in their footsteps. And those who know our family well know it is not just a finger or two in the mouth, the other hand likes to be busy also. So the buck stops here! I feel I need to explain to everyone why my 2 month old is wearing mittens that are too small for him; it is because I am trying my darndest to block a habit before it is formed. They only make tiny mittens for baby's first couple of weeks so Max's hands are for the majority of the day balled up. I hope I am not hindering any motor skill growth but I am one determined mama. He is on a merit system and if he has not been sucking on the mittens he can earn a recess where I work with him on grasping, but the moment I turn my back and hear the tell-tell slurp, 2 demerits are tallied and the mittens go back on. I have tried to research "ways to prevent" on the internet but all I can find is ways to "break the habit", so I am flying blind on this one.
But look at his darling smile, does it make you heart smile like it does ours? (Elli wrote that line on a card for me when she was younger and sweeter.)

1 comment:

Andra Jamison said...

I'm positive it's not the mittens but his HUGE hands!