Sunday, July 26, 2009

Self Worth

Jason and I were fortunate enough to speak in church today, so we needed to farm out the kids and cross our fingers that they would act better for others than they do for us. To motivate them, I annied up my special stash of Dove milk chocolate squares. I told them they could earn up to 3 squares depending on how good they were. So after church they asked how many chocolates they earned to which I reflected the question back to them: How many do they think they deserve? This is where nature vs. nurture comes into play. It turns out Elli and Addie are not one and the same. Addie immediately responded with "3". I asked what she did during sacrament and she said she colored the whole time. I kept the conversation going by asking if coloring the whole time warrants 3 chocolates. An affirmative "Yes" ended our conversation. During my conversation with Addie, Elli is replaying her behavior during the meeting in her head and calculating her chocolates, but to no avail, she can't make the call. She asks me to decide for her. I asked what she did during sacrament and she tells me she played quiet hand games and tic tac toe, but that she was very quiet. Okay, so you know what we expect from you, again how many do you think you deserve? She was stumped, she couldn't tell me how many she was worth. I gave her three also, mainly because she at least has a conscience and took more than a mini-second coming up with her answer.
And yes, our talks went well... enough; thanks for asking.

1 comment:

Andra Jamison said...

That sounds like it could be from the book of Andra and Jocelyn's childhood...I'll let you figure out who each character represents?? But I remind you that you were the one when I asked if you got in trouble would respond with a laugh, "No...they were just dissapointed!" which always brought me to tears!!