Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Gift that Keeps on Giving


At church last Sunday the lesson was on families, and "gifts" we get from our families like a grandfather's nose (luckily I did not get that Diamond gem) or blue eyes - you get the point.  So when the teacher asked what gifts the children had been given from their families Addie raised her hand and shared that she had been given her mom's singing voice.  Bless her heart, she thinks I can sing.  I didn't want to sadden her with the cold hard reality that her mom was the only student in all of sixth grade at Greenbrook Elementary who didn't make Mr. K's beginning chorus class, and for icing on the cake he asked my sister if I knew I was tone deaf.  And while we are exploring tragedy in my life, Jason made me cry once while we were dating when I asked him why he wasn't singing in church and his reply was that it was too hard trying to stay on tune while singing next to me.  The irony of this whole story is that at age 11 I was in the San Francisco Opera, so take that Jason & Mr. K! (I was a bald buddhist monk child in a red shroud that walked across the stage while the real SF children's choir sang offstage, but whatever!)  So thank you Addie for thinking so highly of me, but next time you tell me I look pretty, your judgment is a bit in question.

6 comments:

Andrea Sheets said...

We are still planning on Addie for James. Tell Jason to start working on her dowry. But now I'm a little concerned about the Sheets' nose gift and the Diamond nose gift being combined. Is it still a go???

Emily said...

Hmmm, the singing in church comment while engaged comment seems oddly familiar. This is how it went for us:

Me: "Steve, you're not exactly singing in time to the chorister. You should look at her."

Steve: "At least I sing on key."

TDM Wendy said...

so funny. I laughed out loud when I read the part about Jason not singing in church. So good. So good.

April and Jacque said...

You always have the cutest backgrounds!

AnnieB said...

Ha! Don't you love kids for seeing the best in us?! I just joined the ward choir out of guilt for not having any musical talents whatsoever from a very musical dad. Trying to make him proud!

TDM Wendy said...

I don't have your email so I will just post here. I know you have some DMV pics for me, don't you. Don't tell me you got the OCD gene?!!